Leek & Mushroom Coconut Soup
3 1/2 cup of water
1 1/2 cups of coconut milk
1/2 leek OR 1 cup of finely diced leek
2 1/2 cups of washed button mushrooms
4 small cloves of garlic, finely diced
1 tbs of tamari sauce (gluten-free)
1/2 cup of finely chopped broccoli, top only
2 tsp of olive oil
1 tbs of coconut oil
1 1/2 tsp of black pepper
salt to taste
2 tsp of apple cider vinegar (for soup recipe) + 2 tsp for washing produce
- Prep ingredients by first washing thoroughly in a bowl of warm water and 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. This includes leeks, which can easily host bacteria if not washed properly.
- Finely dice leeks, garlic and broccoli so all ingredients are the same size. Set aside broccoli to add later.
- Heat a large soup pot at medium heat, adding both olive oil and coconut oil to the pot. When oils are heated add garlic and leeks. During this time, slice any mushroom in half that is the size of a quarter, or larger.
- ADD mushrooms, 2 tsps of apple cider vinegar, 1 1/2 tsp of black pepper, and tamari sauce to the pot. Let sauté until leeks are softened and tamari starts to thicken.
- Add water and coconut milk. Turn down heat to just below medium heat and let soup simmer until warm enough to serve.
- Add broccoli to the pot 3 minutes before serving, and salt to taste.