Not much to say this week, except: here’s another delicious recipe from Nourished Kitchen. Enjoy!
|GRILLED HONEY HARISSA CHICKEN WITH GERMINATED BROWN RICE PILAF||
recipe type: main dish
cuisine: north africa
serves: 6 servings
Redolent with perfume of North African spices, this easy main course blends spiced grilled chicken breast with a rich germinated brown rice pilaf.
For the Germinated Brown Rice Pilaf
- 4 cups long-simmered chicken bone broth (Find a recipe in this cookbook.)
- 2 cups TruRoots germinated brown rice (read more here)
- 2 tablespoons finely ground sea salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons ghee (Available here.)
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- ¼ cup pistachios
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup dried goji berries
- ¼ cup sultanas
- ¼ cup dried unsweetened cranberries
For the Honey Harissa Chicken
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 split chicken breasts, halved
Make the Rice
- Pour the broth into a 2-quart saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the rice and salt. Drop in the cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Turn down the temperature to low, cover, and simmer the rice until cooked through and tender, about 25 minutes. Pluck out the cinnamon stick and bay leaves out of the rice, and uncover. Drain away any excess liquid.
- While the rice cooks, melt the ghee in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the chopped onion and saute until translucent, about 6 minutes. Stir in the orange zest, honey, cumin and turmeric and continue cooking another 2 minutes.
- Stir the seasoned onions into the rice, and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the parsley, pistachios, almonds, goji berries, sultanas and cranberries. Serve with Honey Harissa Chicken (below).
Make the Chicken
- Preheat the grill to 450F.
- While the rice cooks, whisk honey, harissa paste, ginger, salt, turmeric, black pepper and lemon together in a small bowl until it forms a smooth paste.
- Take the chicken breasts and slice a 2-inch slit into the meat to form a pocket. Spoon about a tablespoon of the paste into the slit of each chicken breast, then brush the remaining paste over the tops of the chicken.
- Grill the chicken for 25 minutes, or until they reach an internal temperature of 170F. Serve over Germinated Brown Rice Pilaf.