German chamomile has had a long history of calming tummies and lulling bodies into a restful sleep. My husband’s Oma and Opa have shared stories of their parents running into the backyard to grab chamomile out of their garden when one of their kids was feeling ill, or simply for a relaxing evening tea. I like to call chamomile’s daisy-like flower “the gentle plant” for its soothing nature and readiness to grow just about anywhere it is welcomed. I add lovely chamomile as a tea into my blender and empty smoothie cup.
Chilled chamomile tea makes a fantastic base to a smoothie, and even though it has served well as a night-time tea and tummy-tamer, it’s also great for anytime of the day. After a stressful meeting or strenuous activity, use chamomile in the base of a smoothie to help soothe the nervous system and ease digestion. If you are interested in gentle cleansing, but are avoiding anything too strenuous, chamomile could do the trick. It is mildly cleansing with anti-inflammatory properties, making it gentle enough not to apply too much stress on the body.
Enjoy this tasty smoothie recipe using chamomile teas and seasonal fruit:
Ginger Peach Chamomile Smoothie
- 1 cup of chilled chamomile tea (brewed for 5 minutes)
- 1 organic washed peach, pitted
- 1/4 to1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup ice
- Feeling adventurous? Add a tablespoon of hemp seeds to your shake.
- Steep chamomile tea for 5 minutes and chill.
- Add chilled tea and rest of ingredients to blender, blend, and serve.
Enjoy this smoothie as a fresh start to your day, or mid-day snack.